02 november 2013

Lazy and Lagom

How did I ever come to think that being lazy is fun? Yet it's like it's programmed into my brain that doing "nothing" (aka sleeping, watching movies, playing games or watching a whole season of some show) is the ideal thing to do when you don't have anything else to do (aka don't have anything else to do that must be done *right now*). Doing too much of anything is plain boring, and procrastinating isn't as fun as it seems, cause it just means that whatever you need to do gets even more stressful. Yet I get into something (watching shows, knitting, games, you name it) and can't seem to get out of it until it has been boring for a few days, at least.

The weather, time of year and supposed degree finish line coming up don't help. And so I got even more lazy and stopped running for 10 days. That was the most stupidest of them all. Before this funk, I was up to 18 km a week, and then stop suddenly? He-ellooo endorphine low! Exam week that didn't go according to plan, diminishing daylight that I haven't taken enough care to enjoy, the realization that I have way more left than I "should" - pretty hefty feeling-low-cocktail right there. So is it just me? Can't be, people procrastinate all the time (yeah *you*, and not just students, even though authors seem to love to call it the "student syndrome").

So what is it that tells us that that is a better option than just trying to enjoy the "work" we need to do? Because we think of it as work? I've got one helluva example of that myself: I used to work in the stables a lot and loved it before they hired me. I got up at 6 in the morning on holidays to go help out in the stables, and I was happy to stay until 10 in the evening when it closed. After I started getting paid for it it was never as fun again. Why? Does it have something to do with "want to" becoming "have to"? It's still our own choice, for the most part, and everything that's worth having requires work. Just imagine how easy life would be if everybody just *wanted* to do whatever it is they "have to" do.

Why do "lazy" people like to complain about crazy energetic people, saying that it can't possibly be good for them to do everything they are doing, and that it's terrible that they seemingly can never just sit down and sit still and enjoy the moment? Believe me, I've been in both camps, and know people who are firmly stuck in both. I'd take the energetic one any day, because how can sleeping till noon, being tired all day long, feeling bad about most things and especially about going to work, ever be considered good or fun or something you want to do (although, feeling bad about "sleeping in" till 8 in the morning is also crazy in my book)? I guess I'll struggle with it for a long time, but I know where I want to be, at least. And that I don't have to turn the world upside down to get there. 

I watched Living as Amish a while back, and they work hard all day, every day, but also take time to enjoy each others company and good food at the end of the day. A barn raising involving 80 people working even harder all day long is considered a special occasion to be celebrated (80 people volunteering to raise an oak barn frame by hand is pretty amazing). Everything they are able to do is considered a privilege (God's green earth and all that, but either way, it is a very positive perspective on what we call "work"). This guy from England who had been in various boarding schools since he was a kid asked one guy they were staying with how many bad days he'd say he had every year. 4 days. Four. All the other days were good days in his book.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar