24 januari 2011

"It's not a problem, it's an opportunity" vs. "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

"What seems at first glance to be simple often really isn't - and the reverse is rarely true."
I'm reading about HCI (Human-Computer Interaction), and this, at least the first part, seems to apply perfectly to the tiny errors I usually end up with in any programming laboration I set my mind to finishing (rather, is told to do to get my degree ;) ). When everything is done, and I have seemingly solved the task at hand, there is always something that doesn't work, and I can't for the life of me understand why... that's when the fun begins; hours upon hours of debugging, swearing and saying over and over that "This SHOULD work!!"... only to end with finding out that the only error is a misspelling of a variable name, a declaration somewhere that needs to be moved a millimeter up or down, or similar. They don't even deserve to be called bugs, and after hours of going through all stages of denial, anger and frustration, I'm left feeling utterly relieved, but also ridiculous because it took me so long to find such a tiny little thing. What seems to be everything but simple often turns out to be just that?


And yes, I'm awake, studying, and fully aware of the fact that it's 4:30 in the morning. Morning being the important word here. No point in going to bed when a new day full of learning has already begun!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar